Monday, July 11, 2011

Annual Lunch with Professor

Two weeks ago I received a phone call from Dr. Derke Bergsma. I recognized that familiar voice, and he was surprised that I knew it was him. It helped that I had him on Caller ID. Around this time every year I get a phone call from Dr. Bergsma asking to have lunch.

He spends half the year teaching at Westminster California and the other half teaching at Trinity Christian College here in Palos Heights, Illinois. So whenever he comes back to the Chicago area around June, he gives me a call, and we have lunch.

He has been of great encouragement to me. He taught two of my preaching classes at Westminster. He also preached at my installation service when I was called to be an evangelist and church planter for the Presbytery of the Midwest. So he checks up on me to see how the church planting work is going.

It is interesting to talk to him because he has played a major role in several Christian institutions. He taught at Dordt College when it was first starting out. He also taught at Trinity Christian College 50 years ago when it first started out. He taught at Calvin College too. So talking to him is like a stroll through the annals of history.

Thanks Dr. Bergsma for taking the train into the city to have lunch with me. I'll pay for lunch next year when the city takes away free rides for seniors.

No comments:

Post a Comment